At first, health coaching can seem like an easy business to start. You’ve got your health coach training, and you want to help people, so you just need to find some clients! But many coaches find that as their businesses grow, they end up in a tangle of technology with multiple different tools to run different parts of their business.
A scheduling tool. A social media automation tool. Your website dashboard. It’s easy to find yourself overloaded with tools to run your online health coaching businesses – tools that may not make your jobs any easier!
That’s why we interviewed practicing health coaches about their favorite tools and resources that they use every day to run their health coaching businesses – to save you time and find the essential tools that really work for health coaches in 2021.
Best Coaching Tools for Health Coaches
As a health coach, you can work with one-on-one clients in person or online.
For online/remote clients, of course you could use the telephone, but these days most coaches are using a video call tool.A major benefit of using an online video calling tool for your coaching sessions is that you can record your calls (which is a nice bonus for clients, so they can re-listen to their sessions rather than taking lots of notes).
We recommend using Zoom for your online coaching sessions, which makes it easy to record sessions.
Best Coaching Platform for Health Coaches
Aside from simply recording calls for your clients, running a health coaching business has a lot of moving parts. You’ll need to book sessions with your clients, have them sign a contract and take payment, and deliver notes, handouts and recordings.
Of course you can do this yourself manually, but it’s so much easier to use an all-in-one coaching platform.
The coaching platform that we recommend is called Paperbell. You can read our full review of Paperbell here.
Best Organizational Tools for Health Coaches
Like in every other business – being organized is one of the most important things for a health coach. Being able to keep track of your ideas, progress on different projects, and communicate it all with collaborators called a need for project management apps and organizational tools.
Health Coach Ania N. loves Evernote. “I keep all of my client notes, blog ideas, articles, etc. in Evernote which syncs between my iPad, iPhone and desktop and means that I always have everything at my fingertips and can work anywhere.” – said, Ania
For Wellness Coach Maureen C, using the project management tool, Basecamp keeps her organized and on-track with her projects.
“Google drive has been a lifesaver for me in terms of planning and collaborative work. I have developed a virtual team working across time-zones and geographies, and Google drive makes this approach possible.” – Lawrence Mitchell, Raw Energy
Elizabeth Plant of Springtime Holistics says she uses her paper planner for to-do lists but turns to technology when it comes to teaching – in the form of webinars.
When it comes to online appointment scheduling and staying on top of your daily agenda, at Wellpreneur, we found that Acuity Scheduling takes all the headaches out of booking, rescheduling, and canceling client appointments. With this app, clients can book their own appointments and get automated reminders.
Paperbell is another online coaching software that helps you with many aspects of your health coaching business. It can be used for your 1:1 clients as well as any online coaching programs you have going. You can start with your first client for free.
Trello is good to use to keep all your tasks and various projects organized. You can create different boards for different things, and on each board, you can keep information on several topics. If there is a link, tool, or resource you have come across and are afraid of losing, you can add it to one of your boards for easy access later on.
Best Social Media Tools for Health Coaches
Of course you can post on social media manually, but there are lots of social media scheduling tools that make it easy to do your social media in advance (so it doesn’t take over your whole workday!) We like to separate posting from engagement. Schedule the posts in advance, then show up live each day (or when it suits you) to engage with your followers. These tools also make it easy to post and manage multiple platforms at the same time.Our top recommendation for social media management for health coaches are Later and Buffer.
“I love Buffer for scheduling posts.” – says Health Coach Claudia Petrilli
Fab Giovanetti adds that Buffer “is the best way to schedule your social media in an effective and organized way.” Fab calculates that this app only saves her over 8 hours every week, which gives her more time to reply to more emails, pitch more clients, and have more time off for herself.
“Buffer is my favorite way to create a queue of articles and links I want to share, and drip them out over time. This works really well for me since I tend to read things online in bursts, and don’t want to share them all at once. Just add them to your buffer, and it shares them on social media throughout the day!
HootSuite is an easy way to stay on top of multiple social media accounts from a central location. Forget logging into Facebook several times with different accounts – just log into your Hootsuite dashboard, update everything, and you’re done!
Edgar is a newer social media automation tool that enables evergreen posts – really helpful to promote your old blog posts and podcast episodes!”
Best Website Tools for Wellness Entrepreneurs
- TOP PICK: WPX Hosting for managed WordPress hosting including fast site speed, affordable pricing and great customer service!
- LeadPages for simple, clean and professional landing pages, sales pages, and opt-in email pages.
- ConvertKit email marketing lets you create good looking forms and simple landing pages included in their standard plans. Sign up through our link to get a free 14-day trial!
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- SEO keyword research to get more organic traffic to your website with Mangools. Check out this blog post on how to use SEO in your wellness business.
Website Disclaimer, Terms + Conditions etc.
- Get legally covered with these legal templates from Lisa Fraley: Client Agreement, Website Terms + Conditions, How Do You Know What To Trademark, and more!
Best Email Marketing for Wellness Entrepreneurs
- TOP PICK: ConvertKit. ConvertKit will grow with you and makes it super easy to create email courses and offer multiple opt-in freebies. If you’re ready to create a second opt-in gift, or if you know that online is going to play a large part in your business – then go with ConvertKit from the start (or switch, it’s easy!) I’ve also got a special BONUS training if you join through my link, details here!
Best Productivity Tools for Wellpreneurs
- Canva is my favorite tool for creating a great-looking blog and social media graphics and even eBooks, no design skills required!
- Upwork is an online marketplace for freelancers. Hire a virtual assistant, web developer, graphic designer – whoever you need to grow your business!
- Zoom.us is my favorite for working with clients online and for doing online group coaching calls and discussions. Awesome quality video conferencing and built-in recording!
- Evernote as my central to-do list and one single notebook. It also syncs across devices so I can access everything on my computer or my phone!
- Acuity Scheduling – Stop emailing back and forth with clients to set appointments and have them book online through this tool instead!
Done For You Health Coaching Programs
- Coach with Confidence: A completely Done For You 6 Month Health Coaching program from Health Coach Solutions. Simply customize with your own branding and start seeing clients! Use the coupon code “AMANDA100” to save $100 off the Coach with Confidence program when you purchase via this link!
- Fit + Healthy 30-Day Jumpstart: Use this Done For You program from Health Coach Solutions as an entry-level product or group program, just customize it with your logo, and it’s ready to use! Use the coupon code “Amanda50” to save $50 off the 30-Day Jumpstart program when you purchase via this link!
- Become a Certified Holistic Health Coach with the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. It’s where I studied, and I’m happy to answer any questions about the program, just contact me.
- That Clean Life Meal Planning App, a meal planning app that makes custom meal plans for your clients a breeze. Includes access to a growing database of professionally photographed recipes, pre-made programs, grocery lists, recipes and prep guides and more. Everything you need to create beautiful meal plans, help your clients achieve success and grow your wellness business.
- Beautiful stock photos from Wellness Stock Shop will help you build your online presence and increase your brand awareness on social media. Use code WELLPRENEUR50 to receive $50 off annual photo membership.
Best Podcasts for Wellness Entrepreneurs
- Wellpreneur Podcast – The first podcast dedicated to helping you grow your health + wellness business, online (hosted by yours truly!)
- Smart Passive Income
- She Podcasts
Must-Read, Inspiring Books for WellpreneursOf course I have to start with my own book (I’m a little biased!)… Wellpreneur: The Ultimate Guide to Nail Your Niche and Find Clients Online by Amanda Cook. I created this book just for you! You’ll learn my complete system to bring more of the right clients to your website and turn them into paying clients. Plus you’ll read interviews with practicing wellness entrepreneurs about what’s working for them! I’ve also created a companion workbook called The Wellpreneur Planner.
The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks. This book has already sold over 100,000 copies and is written by a New York Times bestselling author. In this book, Hendricks teaches you powerful skills and habits to help you break down the walls to a better life.
The Desire Map by Danielle LaPorte. This book is your guide to creating your bucket list, quarterly objectives, strategic plans, and goals. It is a holistic life-planning tool that will change the way you go after things in your life. It teaches you how to set practical goals that generate your core desired feelings while helping you reach those goals by easing up on your expectations.
Herbal Remedies for Vibrant Health by Rosemary Gladstar. This book is filled with herbal recipes for vibrant health. There are so many natural cures available for a variety of ailments and conditions, including dry skin, infant colic, cold symptoms, and insomnia. This book offers you alternatives to pharmaceuticals and teaches you more about nature’s healing powers.
The Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris. This book is known as the blueprint that can break you out of your 9 to 5 life. This book has spent seven years on the New York bestseller list. It tells you that there is no time like the present to chase your dreams, no matter what they may be. The book offers you a step by step guide on achieving a more luxurious lifestyle design.
Finding Your Own North Star by Martha Beck. This book is another step by step program that guides you in fulfilling your own potential and creating a more joyful life. It teaches you how to become reacquainted with your own desires and teaches you how to repair the damage that may be a roadblock for your progress.
Free Training for Wellness Entrepreneurs
- Lead Magnet Creation for Nutrition Professionals: a guide to building an irresistible opt-in that converts.
- Let me help you start your email list. Take my free “Get 100 Email Subscribers in 10 Days” challenge.
- Just getting started? Get the “Start Your Wellness Business – From Scratch!” Checklist here.
The Importance of a Health Coaching Toolkit
When you start to set up your own health coaching business, you will quickly find that it is almost a juggling act as you try to find the right balance and keep up with everything. To help with this and to become an even better health and wellness coach, you want to take advantage of as many tools and resources you can to make things easier and stay better organized as you build your health and wellness coaching business.
Digital communication tools, for example, are beneficial for keeping you connected to any remote clients you may have. Being able to work with clients in this way is worth the convenience. To keep everything running as smoothly as possible, you should also have those resources and tools that allow you to keep track of your ideas, create to-do lists to stay on track, manage multiple projects, and digitize your pen and paper notes, documents, and files.
Did We Miss One?
And what about you? What tools and resources do you use for running your business? Are you happy with your ‘perfect formula’ and current set of tools, or are you always trying to find a better way to automate your business? Share your favorite tools that we missed below!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links. There is no additional cost to you, and I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. I recommend these companies because I believe they have great products that will be beneficial to you. Please only purchase these products if you feel the same way.